On this podcast, Raphi Sirt of BreakNutrition.com talks with Luis Villasenor -founder of Ketogains- about how physiology affects food habits (and vice versa), fasting, carnivore diets, high vs low-carb/keto for bodybuilding, exogenous ketones, how insulin sensitivity possibly affects BAT vs WAT fat depots…and lots more.
Some of the topics we discussed:
- How was Ketogains Started
- The difference between a classical ketogenic diet to treat epilepsy vs a ketogenic diet for optimal fat loss
- Luis explains that Ketogains gives more importance to body recomposition (body fat % and lean muscle mass) rather than weight-loss per se.
- Raphael asks Luis if he thinks that protein targets for bodybuilder seeking to bulk are so important than carbohydrate considerations are secondary.
- Raphael and Luis talk about the relationship between WAT and BAT tissue depending on one’s insulin sensitivity.
- Raphael mentions how the psychological aspect of fasting was more interesting and impactful for him than the physical experience.
- Luis talks about how his thinking and behavior around food improved over the years and how fasting (the concept and practice) was educational in that regard.
- Luis explains the concept of ‘intelligently investing your food calories’ instead of mindlessly calorie counting; keep your calories for high-quality nutrient dense foods
- Luis mentions being overweight as a kid and ties in how he had to learn to ‘eat more’ (of the right food) in a sitting to stay full for longer periods of time.
- Luis and Tyler Cartwright have been invited to work on a project with a native-american group to help them improve their nutrition.
- Raphael asks Luis to explain why he suggests thinking of protein needs in terms of grams rather than percentages, and how this thinking is inherent to the use of the Ketogains Macros Calculator.
- Raphael asks Luis what he thinks about exogenous ketones.
To hear the whole interview, click HERE!